Masters in HR vs Law School

A place to talk about getting an education in human resources. Topics include certificates, college degrees, and masters programs.
Felipefelipe

Tue Jul 16, 2019 12:26 am

I’m currently a junior in college and plan on applying to law schools next year. I’ve been studying for the LSAT and believe I can score around a 170.

The only problem is I’m not sure I want to be a lawyer. People say you can do anything with a law degree but I’m scared of being over qualified for non legal jobs I may be interested in.

I’m considering getting a masters in HR instead of a JD. there are some HR jobs in labor relations and executive compensation that seem interesting to me.

Do you guys think HR could be a good fit for me?
12thMan

Wed Jul 17, 2019 1:12 am

The fear of being overqualified with a law degree is very valid. Be prepared for a question followed by a disclaimer.

1) Why don’t you want to practice law?
2) you know we can’t pay you as much as a law firm, right?

For typical he business partner or people analytics jobs you’d probably be overqualified with a JD, but... You’re in luck that a law degree is a perfectly fine degree to get into executive compensation or labor relations. However a masters in labor relations or an MBA would be just as good... plus faster and cheaper.

I’d do a very serious look at what you want to do with your life. A law degree can open a lay of doors... but it can close them too
Zipper

Thu Jul 25, 2019 4:06 am

A new biglaw grad makes 190k. No fresh HR job even gets close to that. But usually grads can’t hack biglaw for long. Eventually they jump ship to a lower paying in-house Counsel gig that pays 120k—160k.

However most lawyers never get to work big law. Many start in the 60k - 80k or can’t find work at all.

TLDR - T14 is worth it. Anything else shooed an HR masters
PokemonRed

Mon Jul 29, 2019 1:16 am

One thing to consider is how much you would like each career. Most lawyers I know hate their job while most HR professionals enjoy what they do.

I have an undergrad buddy who went to law school. He works at a mid-size employment law firm. He hears the cool work that I do around org design and change management and told me, “that’s what I wanted to be doing after law school.”

Instead he’s doing doc review for mod-size regional paper companies,